This course is 50-Hours of training (14-hours of online theory and 36-hours of hands-on training) and has been developed to introduce healthcare practitioners to Internationally recognized best-practice and Gold Standard Treatment for patients with Lymphoedema, Lipoedema, and virtually any Oedema conditions due to a variety of etiologies. The training consists of thorough research-based information.
This Course training is introductory information and does not certify you as a CLT – (Certified Lymphoedema Therapist).
To learn more in-depth comprehensive information and to become a CLT, one can register for the Lymphoedema Management Certification Course which is 150 hours of training on Lymph Africa Education
Who is this course for? Occupational Therapists, Physiotherapists, Professional Nurses, Wound Care Sisters, Massage Therapists*, Medical Doctors
*Massage therapists must show proof of completion of a minimum of 500 hours of massage education or be certified through the AHPCSA in South Africa or a similar accrediting body
NOTE: This course is geared toward enhancing the knowledge and practice skills of Occupational Therapists, Physiotherapists and Nurses treating patients with lymphoedema and thus billing codes and Baskets of Care covered by Medical Aidin South Africa. Parts of this course may be outside the scope of practice for Massage Therapists. It is the responsibility of all health professionals to ensure that they work within the limits of their license/registration.
There are two parts to the Fundamentals of Lymphoedema course:
Part One: Online Pre-course Work - 14 Hours
Our online training is hours, and is a combination of power points, videos, reading, handouts, and online tests. It is self-paced but must be completed prior to attending the practicum portion of the course. Allow 1 month to complete your online pre-course work. You must score a minimum of 70% or higher to pass the online portion and proceed to the practicum of the course.
Part Two: Practicum Training - 36 Hours
The practicum training will take place in Cape Town.
The Gold Standard Treatment protocol of manual lymph drainage will be explained and reviewed in this 2-day Course.
Upon completion the participant will be able to:
The Theoretical review covers the following and upon completion of the LEA Online Lymphoedema Course, the participant will be able to:
1. Understand the History of Complete Decongestive Therapy – CDT and MLD
- Understand the anatomy, physiology and pathophysiology of the lymphatic system and differentiate between lymphoedema, lipoedema, lipolymphoedema, phlebolymphoedema, dependent oedema, and venous oedema
- Understand classification of lymphoedema, etiology and staging
- Understand how to complete and document a comprehensive lymphoedema evaluation
- Understand the theory of the components of CDT – Manual Lymph Drainage (MLD), Compression Bandaging, Exercises, Skin Care, Long Term Compression and Self Care
- Understand long-term compression garment systems available
- Understand home care education and exercise program for long term management
- Understand the benefits of risk reduction and precautions of lymphoedema
- Understand basic wound assessment, treatment and dressings that are appropriate under compression bandaging
- Understand the importance of ABPI testing and how to choose an appropriate level and type of compression based on ABI results
4-days, 36-hours Hands-On and 14-hours Online Study
Class hours are 8:00am–5:00pm. (4-hours of online study MUST be completed before)
The Stone Shed https://www.facebook.com/stonesheddurbanville/
To be certified in Lymphoedema-Complete Decongestive Therapy
R13,000–Full Cost; EARLY BIRD–R11,000 incl VAT
This program is learned conceptually, and you will have the opportunity to experience and absorb the information physically as well. Real world – Patient visits, evaluation, and inspection, along with observation of treatment, provide exceptional insight into the precise delivery of patient care. It is this seamless integration of theoretical and practical components, while in a relaxed and intimate setting, that makes the course an invaluable and unforgettable experience.
REGISTRATION AND PAYMENT
You can either pay directly into our account or you can pay via payfast
- Fill in Online Registration Form
- A Registration Confirmation and quote/ invoice will be emailed to you.
- You will only receive your online coursework when you have paid in full.
- Email Proof of Payment to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Prices are as follows:
Early Bird Investment: R 11,000.00 incl. VAT
(Please note: To be eligible for the early bird pricing, we must receive your proof of payment as well as have the payment reflecting into our accounts by 2023)
Full Investment: R 13,000.00 incl. VAT
EFT BANKING DETAILS:
- Places will be offered to persons on the waiting list and deposits forfeited should balance of payment not be made by deadline.
- Deposits can be carried over for future courses, should you inform us 7 working days before final payment is due.
Suzi Davey, OTR/L, CLT-LANA, CLWT
Suzi Davey is an Occupational Therapist and specialist and expert in the field of Lymphoedema Management, certified in 1998, through Dr. Vodder School International and completed Certified instructor training in 2015 with the International Lymphedema and Wound Care Training Institute USA (ILWTI). She will be presenting the course and testing the students throughout.
Want to find out more about Suzi Davey? Click right here.